Introduction: The club’s nickname, “Latics” is a contraction of the word “Athletic” in some strange dialect.
Make these up before you go to the match and stick them in the fridge to firm up.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Chilling time; The longer the better
Cooking time: 10 mins
Home kit: large mixing bowl, large non-stick frying pan
Away kit: 4 plates, knives and forks
- 250g (9oz) white crab meat
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- A thumb of fresh ginger, grated
- 4tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 200g (7oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3tbsp vegetable oil
- 4tbsp mayonnaise (full fat not that light rubbish)
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lime, plus lime wedges to serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method: Preheat the oven to 100oC
Mix the crab, spring onions, ginger, chives, chilli, eggs and breadcrumbs together in the bowl. Season and form into 16 round patties.
Heat the oil in the frying pan. Fry the crab cakes for 3 mins each side so they turn crispy and golden – if you do this in batches they turn crispy quicker as there is not so much steam in the pan.
Full time results
Mix together the mayonnaise, lime zest and juice. Season well and serve with the crab cakes, lime wedges and a crisp green salad if you must or stick them in come crusty bread rolls.